Thursday, May 03, 2007

World, I Am Not a House Plant

Today my friend told me an incredible story.

At a security check-point in the Diplomatic Quarter a man and his wife were stopped. The officer asked the usual questions, what are you here for?.. ect. Nothing out of the ordinary.

And then, he asked: "Does this belong to you?" ("hatha taba3ak?", to be more precise) indicating the man's wife.
Like she were a house plant or a sock. Or a toilet seat. Or a dirty magazine. Or a box of rice-crispies. Or a pickle jar... Hey.. Thinking up random objects is fun!

Anyway.
I'm sending this message out into the world: I refuse to be a houseplant, and by gum if I am ever treated like one there will be hell to pay.

"Hell" being a hell of a lot of screaming from my end, ofcourse.

However, if I ran the world that culprit would be arrested and forced to eat fried mud for sixty-three days.
That'd teach him.

ubergirl

PS. Thinking up random punishments is also fun, by the way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Girl, I feel SO. SORRY. FOR. YOU...and what you have to put up with in that part of the world. It disgusts me beyond belief. Do you have any freedoms at all? I'm not trying to be rude or anything, but your situation over there sounds absolutely terrifying. Are you abused by your family and things of that sort???? I heard horror stories that the men over there are such pigs that they beat their wives and throw acid on them and lock them up. Absolute pigs and assholes they are! May they rot in hell when they die!

ubergirl87 said...

No I am not abused, and really I don't know many women who are. I'm sure there ARE many, but I don't know all of them. I have some freedoms... Certainly not as many as another woman living in another part of the world. Don't feel sorry for me, I'm okay. I appreciate you concern, though :-)

Anonymous said...

Man I've heard guys talk about women to their faces in even more disgusting ways, it makes me depressed and this is coming from a guy, I wonder how girls feel.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, Arab men are famous the world over for this attitude. I remember my uncle telling me how shocked he was when his Saudi friend called his girlfriend 'it' instead of 'her'.